Sunday, November 4, 2007

druk path trek


I have been a very lucky girl, staying in the guest house at the college. There has been a train of absolutely fabulous international guests that I have gotten to know. The most recent were two Australians, who I had a most hilarious time with. Robyn and Anne had organized a 5 day trek from Thimphu (the capital) to Paro, over all the mountains in between, and they invited me along..

Unfortunately, we were in clouds most of the way (at 4000 m, quite literally), but we did have a few cloud breaks that allowed some pictures of the spectacular mountain scenary


Morning, Day 5. The really sunny last day!


The three us of at the first mountain pass, day 2.
Yes, more prayer flags
Wangda, a good friend, and our guide, had organized the most plush trip I've ever been on. As you can see, we were well treated. Tea time every afternoon. There was no chance of losing any weight on this trip, that's for sure! (We even had a toilet tent)
Our pack horses, waiting to load up..
(2 of the 9)

Mountain wildlife. The bonus of going trekking this late in the year is that the yak herders are moving down to lower elevations, coming back from the Tibetan border etc. So we got to camp with the yaks! One scared me one night by nearly walking into my tent..
Mountain colours in the fall

No comments: